Tuesday, September 2, 2008

ok, so Im a Soy Sauce Snob!

Yesterday, we spent the day recovering from a very long weekend. Lisa was out of town helping her mom with a garage sale, and I was left to fend for myself. Although I got to play a lot of volleyball, I usually don't do well when Lisa is not around. Her mere presence keeps me from reverting back to my college, 'stay up all night' days and not having anyone to come home to after work makes me stay at work way too long. Anyway, we took advantage of Labor Day by resting and getting some grocery shopping in. I decided to hit the local asian market for some foodstuffs that were wearing thin in the pantry, most notably soy sauce (ok, I was totally out...bad asian!). So, I just figured that I would hit the local H-mart and grab some soy sauce along with a few other smelly items (yes, I did bring them for lunch...so Im going to be 'that guy'). H-mart is one of those super asian grocery chains specializing mostly in Korean items, but they do stock items from all over asia (and even a small Mexican section...I live in Texas after all). Anyway, the first place I hit was the Soy Sauce aisle. For some reason, I believe that the only ingredients that should be in Soy Sauce is: water, soy beans, and salt. Would you believe that the only bottle of Soy Sauce that had only those ingredients was $16! There must have been over 100 different brands of Soy Sauce. Most of them contained wheat, but some of them contained weird ingredients like High Fructose Corn Syrup and 'spirits'. One of them contained an ingredient called 'Soy Sauce'...go figure. I don't know why this bothered me so much, but I felt like ranting. A call to Lisa and my good friend Jason only netted me goofing and ridicule. Frustrated, I purchased all of my other goods and drove over to a smaller market down the road, Ko-Mart, another Korean grocery store that I had had more success in the past. What do you know...they had several bottles of Soy Sauce with the minimal ingredients I required...for only $3. Victory was mine! I bought a big bottle this time (I couldn't tell you the brand because it was in Korean...I couldn't even type it if I did know). Bottom line, Soy Sauce shopping annoys me. I guess this is the price I pay for being a Soy Sauce Snob.

Hey! I never said that you would get useful information, nor even be entertained, by reading my blog.

No comments: